DIY Fall Wreath
As both a photographer and lover-of-crafts, I must admit that I honestly have a love/hate relationship with Pinterest. I love the ideas and inspiration that comes from it, but it sometimes will drive a woman mad.
Before fall arrived (or what little we had of fall this year since we’ve apparently moved from summer right on into winter), I had been wanting a new fall wreath. I browsed Pinterest many-a-night trying to find ideas and inspiration for a fall wreath that I could put together myself. I found one on Pinterest that spoke to me and I instantly fell in love… so I tried to put a similar one together myself. Mine is nowhere near as gorgeous as hers, but it was a fun little process and I think it turned out pretty cute. I know many of the silk floral items at Michaels can be seasonal and unfortunately I didn’t have as many choices as I wanted, but I found a couple of decent substitutes and decided to go with it. I decided at the last minute that I might snap a few photos along the way to share with you all.
Here’s how it went down.
- Two grapevine wreaths (only one necessary)
- Two or three focal points (in this case I used one tan flower, one green flower, and a little pumpkin I snagged at Dollar Tree)
- A few stems of foliage
- Hot glue gun / glue sticks
- Floral wire
- Wire cutter (I used needle nose pliers)
I started with two grapevine wreaths. One to pull a few pieces from to add a little more dimension, but it was totally not necessary if you don’t have two wreaths or don’t want to mess with this step.
I also got a few stems from Michael’s (seen below). The long green stems on the left I only ended up using one of (instead of both) because I thought it was just fine with one and didn’t want the wreath to be overly cluttered.
Shown below — the two flowers I ended up using for the focal pieces along with a pumpkin (not pictured below) that I stuck on there at the last minute. The pumpkin was from Dollar Tree, these two flowers below were from Hobby Lobby.
Step one: I began by cutting a few pieces off of grapevine wreath #2 and tucked it in/glued it onto grapevine wreath #1.
Step two: I cut apart the stems I was going to use and started tucking the first stem onto the wreath. This stem wasn’t exactly what I had wanted because the foliage pieces were very floppy, so I had to glue parts of it to the wreath in order to get it to stay. If I hadn’t glued parts of it, it likely would’ve been too droopy. This is a big reason I didn’t end up using the second stem.
Step three: Then I started with the other stems and adding to it, cutting them apart, tucking and hot gluing them to secure.
Step four: Then I cut off the heads of the floral pieces, arranged them as I wanted, and glued them in. The little pumpkin I randomly remembered I had purchased a couple of months back at Dollar Tree, so I hot glued that baby into it as well. 🙂
And here’s the finished product on our green front door!
Overall, I’m pretty happy with it. I probably wouldn’t have used such floppy pieces on a wreath next time, but it still looks pretty organic and I like the outcome! 🙂
Sara and Adam are are a husband and wife photography and cinematography team based out of Fredericksburg, VA. Our primary work consists of weddings, engagements, portraits, studio photography, and pets. We are available for travel within Northern Virginia, DC, Charlottesville, and Richmond and would love to speak with you. Please shoot us a message in the form to the right and we will be in touch shortly!